Wednesday, August 3, 2011

30 Years...

30 Years.  That's a long time. A lot happens in three decades.  30 years is how long my dad has been a firefighter.  Yesterday was the anniversary of his hiring with the Huntington Fire Department.  I remember the day he came home and told us he got the job.  He was SO excited.  I was 7 years old.  7 years old...wow. Jerid was only 3, Jessica was 16 months old and baby Sarah was still nestled comfortably inside mom's tummy.  My mom was beginning her second year of teaching at Lincoln Elementary....where I am about to begin teaching. :) My parents have the work ethic of horses.  They have always shown us and taught us that hard work and dedication to your profession are important.  They were also able to show us that all while giving 110% to their children.  It's amazing what they've accomplished while raising four children.  The older I've gotten, the more I appreciate all the things they've taught us.  As a kid and teenager I loved them, but didn't always appreciate the lessons they were trying to teach us.  I guess I'm not the only kid to have done that. :) I've met some pretty amazing people with the fire department as my dad has put in his 30 years. There are dozens of dedicated men serving this city.  What a lot of people don't realize is what these men sacrifice every time they walk out their door to head to work.  Each time they leave, they are going to a job that is extremely dangerous and at any time, could take them from their families.  The environmental exposures they face are dangerous.  They leave children behind as they head off to their commitment.  Each time they head to work they recommit themselves to the safety of this city and the well-being of others.  My dad not only committed himself to his profession of firefighting for 30 years, but he's also been committed to his family even more so.  He's taught and shown us a great deal of love, compassion and support. He's been a great husband, father, brother, son, uncle and an especially fantastic grandpa.  I'm proud of the way he handled adversity, especially when some were trying to pull the rug out from underneath the department.  He always puts others first. I'm proud of him for his 30 years of service and am thankful for that service. Congratulations dad! Thank you for always showing us what's important in life!!
Love you xoxoxoxo
Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment