Tuesday, July 5, 2011

13 Years

13 years ago today, my life changed forever.  Let me be clear, it was most definitely for the better! I was young, 23..just 6 days shy of my 24th birthday and I became a mom for the first time.  My son Matthew decided that after 30 plus hours, he would finally show his beautiful face.  Carrying Matthew for 9 months was difficult, he put me through the ringer for sure.  To top it off, he decided to stay put past my due date which was not fun in the summer. But he was well worth it. When I look back at the last 13 years with my son I am so grateful.  I'm grateful that God decided to allow me to be a mother to such a beautiful boy who I am most certain saved my life.  Having Matthew allowed me to grow in many ways and he was for sure my reason for living when I went through a divorce. He showed me that life is precious and worth enjoying every moment.  He taught me to appreciate all the moments we are blessed with such as snuggling, speaking first words and walking first steps. He was the one waiting for me with a smile and open arms when I got home from a long night of work and days of classes.  He was the one that allowed me to see what joy grandchildren bring to their grandparents.  Matthew and I had about 5 years where it was just the two of us. Those years weren't always easy as a single parent, but they were most definitely precious because he and I had each other.  I'm in awe of how quickly the last 13 years have gone.  I'm pretty sure I just gave birth to him not that long ago.  I love his heart and I love his compassion.  He is a wonderful brother and son.  I hit the jackpot when I became his mom.  We chose his name because Matthew means "Gift from God".  Without a doubt, he is truly a gift from God.  Happy Birthday Matthew James, I'm so proud of you and thankful I was chosen to be your mom. xoxoxo

2 comments: